Friday, September 11, 2009

Best Teen Films Ever

Many teen comedies miss the mark because they focus on tight bodies, great hair and a hot soundtrack. Those elements only get you so far. The films below get the mix right, giving us characters to care about, to root for, to look for at future reunions. In no particular order:


1) Say Anything--- Has there ever been a more realistic character than Lloyd Dobler? Stars one of our national treasures in John Mahoney who plays Ione Skye's father.

2) Dazed and Confused--- Mathew and Ben have never been better. The casting director should be in the casting director hall of fame. "You know what I like about high school girls? I keep getting older, and they stay the same age."

3) Fast Times at Ridgemont High-- Phoebe Cates has never been better. Glad I got that out of my system. Ray Walston is perfect as Mr. Hand. The casting director didn't exactly do a bad job here either.

4) The Adventures of Sebastian Cole--- Most people have never heard of this odd little film, but the storyline is a lot of fun.

5) Gregory's Girl--- It's got soccer and hot eighties chicks.

6) Almost Famous--- Who wouldn't want to work for Rolling Stone? While still in high school.

7) Breakfast Club--- Maybe it is a bit precious, but it sure felt like it walked the same high school halls that I did. I dreamed of being as cool as Judd Nelson. Don't hold that against me.

8) Metropolitan--- The dialogue absolutely sparkles. This film focuses on a wealthier subset than most teen films, but they're very human. Another relative unknown film more people should be familiar with. Available on a nice Criterion version.

9) Sixteen Candles--- It's a very sweet film from John Hughes, but I still think Molly Ringwald could have done better. Sure the guy is handsome and drives a Porsche, but he has the personality of a pizza box.

10) Clueless--- Don't tell anyone that this is a version of Jane Austen's Emma. Still, Dan Hedaya is terrific as Cher's doting father, and the whole cast has great chemistry. Light but very enjoyable.

11) Superbad--- McLovin is the Jeff Spicoli of a younger generation. Sweet natured and crude at the same time. Just like I remember high school being.

12) The Chocolate War-- Film based on the Robert Cormier novel, the ending is different than the books, but this is still a powerfully directed movie about loss and redemption.

13) Juno--- Sure she's smartier and sassier than even the most precocious of my friends ever thought about being, but Juno is one of those characters you can't take your eyes off of. Jason Bateman does a fine job as a creepy husband who has lost his way.

14) American Graffiti--- I love Charles Martin Smith. It's an older generation's coming of age movie, but the film captures the mix and melancholy and joy of those last nights in a small town better than just about any other script I can think of.

15) Diner--- Still one my favorite Barry Levinson vehicles. A great young cast roughs about their stomping grounds hoping to find direction in life. Direction might be overstating things. Another casting director who knew what they were doing.

16) Valley Girl--- Is this movie in 3-D? No dude, but your face is. Sure there's bad acting all around, but the film has panache and some really, really great music. I'm not sure you can draw a straight line from this Cage vehicle, to say, Con-Air, but I like it. The dick heads are dick heads and the cool kids are oh so cool. (Thanks Leslie)

17) The Last Picture Show--- This film will dry your eyeballs out, the landscape is so dusty and arid. You understand why the stars of the film so desperately want to leave. Jeff Bridges may be one of our most underrated actors because so few of his films have been blockbusters. Of all the authors who have their books regularly made into movies, I have to say that Larry McMurtry has led a charmed life. (Thanks Jim)

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to see the ones on this list that I haven't already.

    One I love that's not on your list, probably because there is some terrible acting in it, and their brand of slang is insufferable, is Valley Girl. I don't know why I liked that so much. I just loved Nicholas Cage in that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, a complete oversight on my part. I love that film, and the one Jim mentioned that should absolutely be here is The Last Picture Show. I'll add both of those right now.

    ReplyDelete